Thursday, April 20, 2006

 

Where The Streets Have No Shame


I've been listening to the new Streets record for about 2 weeks now and I'm just not sure about it. It didn't grab me immediately upon first listen like the first 2 records, so it could be a grower. Or it could be a collosall dissapointment.
For me, the first two Streets records are classics because I can relate to the stories that Skinner is telling. The first two albums are about being young and shiftless, excessive drinking, degenerate gambling, missadventures with the opposite sex, being broke, and constantly taking L's. Whereas this new album is about dating a popstar- and watching her smoke crack, being strung out on coke, trashing hotel rooms, running a record label and dealing with fame. Aside from being strung out on coke, I can't really relate to much of what he's saying. That was a joke by the way (....wow.... tough crowd). The album covers really tell the story: leaning on a Rolls Royce vs. leaning on a bus shelter.
But I really can't fault Skinner for his success, the reason I like his songs so much is that he is brutally honest and completely vulnerable. He just talks about what's going on in his life. After selling 3 million records I guess he can't rap about not-having-money-for-rent-because-he-bought-new-trainers anymore. But that whole 'every-man' underdog persona was part of his cache and some of the appeal is lost.
I dunno, I think that Skinner has stepped up his production game since he's not using a laptop in his bedroom and probably has an entire studio to work with now; but some of the beats are way too 'pop' (ie: when you wasn't famous). And the choruses have way too much 'sing-songing' going on. I know that its fun to sing when you are tone def, but Skinner over did it on this record. There are some highlights, though 'We Never went to Church" is a ballad a la "Dry your Eyes" in which he talks about losing his father. It shows that the Streets can still be emotional without being sappy, since the listener can relate to the theme of loss. I'll give it 6/10 which is pretty low since i gave the first two 9.5 and 8.5, respectively. If you want to hear recent material from the Streets that is alng the same lines of the first 2 records checkout The Mitchell Brothers- A Breath of Fresh Attire. Skinner produced all the beats on it and appears on half of the tracks.

The Streets-'Never Went to Church'
Mitchell Brothers-'Excuse My Brother'

edit: Although, the genius of this record is that by airing out all of his 'rock-star cliche' transgressions, Skinner has circumvented the tabloids from writting stories about him. Its not a controversy if Skinner talked about it in the song lyrics.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?